Confession time = I am making an exception to the rule of ‘Cats I Know’ and featuring a friend who a) is not a cat lover – she much prefers dogs – and b) is a person I am yet to meet in person. But the thing about Lauren is that I can just tell we are kindred spirits and/or soul mates. Our love of all things bohemian, rock and roll and 70s is very much a bond that defies geographical boundaries. Not to mention she is the only person who has ever been able to articulate what the film ‘Almost Famous’ means to me.
Lauren is Brisbane-based and works full time as a travel writer for Flight Centre/Student Flights (hello, dream job alert) and also writes freelance fashion bits and pieces for The Vine and Broadsheet. You can also soon read her creative words in SPOOK magazine, for Ellery and All That Remains. She says her other main passions in life are watching ‘Parks and Recreation’ and eating cheese. (See! Soulmates!) She’s currently going through a full-blown fetta phase (Me too Lauren… me too).
- In another life I was a mermaid.
- If it was socially acceptable I would drape myself in velvet all the time.
- I believe restaurants should just serve breakfast all day, every day.
- Paris for the romance.
- Tokyo for the adventure.
- Vanuatu for the waterfalls.
- Throughout my travels, some of the best vintage shopping I have found was in Brugge, a medieval town in Belgium.
- Unexpectedly, I really loved Norfolk Island. I went there for work and loved it so much I went back there earlier this year with my mum. There’s a rawness to it that is so beautiful. It feels incredibly untouched and rugged.
- Out of all the destinations I’ve written about, I’m dying to go to Mexico. I’ve done so much research and I’m really fascinated by their Cenotes. They look like the most magical places on earth.
- “California Love” by Tupac and Dr. Dre
- “Mary Please” by the Brian Jones Town Massacre
- “Gimme Shelter” by the Rolling Stones
- I think to date, nothing has beaten being able to interview Stephen Jones for Vogue.com.au.
- Actually, while it’s not strictly related to my career, having my career hero Tim Blanks tell me that I looked lovely and that it was ‘a perfect day to be wearing velvet’ was pretty surreal.
- More recently, I was given the opportunity to channel my creative writing into writing the press release for Mania Mania’s upcoming collection, which was really exciting. There’s nothing better than being able to write for labels that you really connect with and believe in.
- To be honest, I really don’t follow many blogs. I think because there are just so many and I find it difficult to come across ones with substance that are really engaging. The endless images kind of give me a headache. But one I am completely obsessed with is Stylelikeu. It’s just so pure and relates to what makes street style so fascinating, but then takes it to another level by having people discuss their style and their journey. It’s not about trends or selling anything and there’s no right or wrong answer. It’s just about showcasing personal creativity which to me is what fashion is all about.
- Pens, coloured pencils and paper. Travel tends to really bring out my creative side. Particularly when there is a language barrier. I like to people watch and sketch at the same time.
- Travel to the USA! I’ve been going through a huge West Coast phase for far too long now.
- I’d also love to get published in a national glossy again – magazines are definitely not dead to me.
- And I’ve promised myself that I will go to Australian Fashion Week next year. I’ve been absent for two years and there are so many people that I have been in contact with that I really want to meet.
You can follow Lauren’s delightful work here on her website.